Did you know that the state of California has over 170,000 active lawyers? Don’t let this intimidate you as California is a big state with a very large population. You too can become a lawyer in California.
Just as you would in most other states you will want to acquire your four year undergraduate degree from an accredited university. After applying to and getting accepted to a California law school (see the list later at the bottom of this page) you will want to pass with high marks and gain as much “real-life” experience as possible. Internships are a great way to build up this experience and can at times provide an advantage when it comes down to searching for your first job out of law school. After graduating from law school you will need to sit and take the bar exam. Upon completion of the bar exam with a passing score you will be sworn in as a legally practicing attorney in the state of California.
California is also the first state to adopt a completely online Juris Doctorate degree. Individuals that graduate from this online course can sit for the California state bar exam.
It is required that an individual looking to become a lawyer in the state of California:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Complete two years of undergraduate college work or pass certain equivalency tests.
- Graduate from a State Bar-accredited or American Bar Association-approved law school.
- Register with the State Bar within 90 days of beginning your law studies.
- Pass the First-Year Law Students’ Examination.
- Receive a positive “moral character” determination.
- Pass the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination and the California Bar Examination
- Provide a Social Security number.
Getting Accepted Into an California Law School.
Your grade point average in college and scores on the LSAT are the two major determining factors for admission to most law schools.
- California has one of the most active and licensed attorneys numbers at over 67,000.
- The average California lawyer wage is $156,xxx per year.
Popular Law Schools In The State Of California.
Below is a list to law schools in California actively accepting applications each year.
Law Schools in State
American College of Law
100 S. Anaheim Blvd., Suite 340, Anaheim 92805
Phone: (714) 772-9000
University of California,
Berkeley – School of Law
5 Boalt Hall, Berkeley 94720-7200
Irvine University College of Law
10900 183 St. Ste#330, Cerritos 90703
Cal Northern School of Law
1395 Ridgewood Drive, Suite 100, Chico 95973
Phone: (530) 891-6900
Online Law Schools
Local Law Firms In California